Thursday, July 16, 2009

My One Year "Surgiversary" - What a Journey!!!

One year and 2 days ago, I changed my life forever (July 14, 2008). I owe a huge debt of gratitude to Dr. Rodrick McKinlay of Rocky Mountain Associated Physicians, who truly saved my life. I had my one year post-op visit with him today, and am happy to report that every single item in my lab work came back perfectly normal, or even in the "optimal" range. I couldn't be more pleased with what I have accomplished this year, and if I had to make the choice to do it all over again, I would do it in a hearbeat - no regrets.

I have included many highlights of my journey in previous posts, but here are some of my favorites:
  • I have gone from a size 34/36 (5X) to a 14/16 (I am now among the "average" sized women in America!)
  • I have gone from a a 54" waist to a 35" waist
  • I am proud of who I am and feel completely comfortable in my own skin (not to say that there isn't plenty of it that could stand to be removed, but I truly am happy with how I look)
  • I am no longer "Super" or "Morbidly" Obese
  • I no longer need special accommodations when seated in a theater, restaurant, airplane, amusement park ride, etc.
  • I have so much hope for a happy and healthy future
Here's to another wonderful year, and to helping others who have struggled just as I have. If I can be a source of help or inspiration for even one person, my struggles will have served a greater purpose. While I still have a bit of work ahead of me to accomplish my ultimate weight loss goals, I wanted to do a quick recap of my journey to date... I have so much to be grateful for!!!



1 comment:

  1. Hi Shawnah! It was great meeting and talking with you at support group last Wednesday! Congratulations on your loss so far! You do look amazing! Thanks for all of the great information you shared with me and for all the encouragement! Hopefully I see you again next time!

    ReplyDelete