Friday, April 24, 2009

1st Day Back to Work... (written on 8/4/09)

Well, my first day back to work went pretty well. It was nice to know I had been missed... Several people said they could tell I had lost weight, but I know it will take a bit more before it's terribly obvious. That's just what happens when you start out with such a huge amount to lose. Last time I lost a significant amount, it was about 50 lbs. before people started to take notice. I'm not too worried, (although it's nice when others can see your progress) because the real prize will be regaining my health and feeling better than I did previously.

I did have my first significant food challenge today (a hard-boiled egg) even though scrambled eggs have never been a problem for me. I had forgotten to buy more yogurt over the weekend, which is what I always do for breakfast, so I decided to get a hard boiled egg from the salad bar in the cafeteria at work. I chewed really well, just like I always do, but it just DID NOT sit well with me. It took several hours for it to feel like it actually got past my stomach pouch - it just sat there forever, and was REALLY uncomfortable. I'm just grateful I have tolerated so many other things, but it will be a long time before I attempt that one again... After that, nothing really sounded good, because I was afraid other things might get stuck on top of that darn egg, but I did manage to keep lunch down. Oh well... if that's the worst I've had up until now, I don't have it so bad.

The thing I was most concerned about was not having enough energy to keep up for the entire day, but that was not the case. I no longer feel weak or dizzy, thankfully. Tomorrow should be better overall, though, since I will be sticking strictly to foods I know agree well with me. I also picked up some paperwork so that I can sign up to use the gym onsite. I thought it was around $15 a month, but it's only $2.50 per paycheck (every 2 weeks), which is an awesome deal! I will have to start out slow with the treadmill, then work my way up to other things. I'm always concerned about hurting my back...

As for the actual weight loss, I'm down exactly 40 lbs., including what I lost in the 3 weeks before surgery (18 since surgery). It seems to be coming off much slower than I had expected, but I guess 40 lbs. in 6 weeks is still pretty good. I think once I start becoming more active, things might pick up a bit. I have finally been able to work up to about 55 - 65 grams of protein a day, and all 64 oz. of water. I'm also averaging about 600 calories a day, which isn't much compared to a normal person's intake, but I'm just glad not to feel hungry on this amount :) I could never have imagined how this would be possible before surgery, but sure enough, it is a reality. I just hope that my pouch will not stretch out too much over time, so that I can maintain this feeling of not being hungry all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment