Friday, April 24, 2009

One Week Out... (written on 7/21/08)

My RNY surgery was exactly one week ago today, and already I have had a couple of milestones (I actually need to include my 3 week pre-op diet success as well). I am down exactly 32 pounds in one month (only 9 of that since surgery last week), but I am seeing a big difference in my clothes, and I am feeling more confident than I did a month ago. I am so blessed to have done incredibly well with the surgery / recovery part, and have really had no pain or discomfort to speak of since returning home from the hospital. I have had no intolerence to food of any kind so far, and almost feel guilty in saying so, because many of my online friends have not been as fortunate. I don't know why I'm the lucky one, and others aren't so lucky, but I am truly grateful, whatever the reason.

Some of my friends from church were completely shocked to see me there yesterday, and on top of that, singing in the choir and helping my husband teach our Primary class (the 5 year olds). I figured if I was fortunate enough to be feeling this good already, there was really no reason I should stay home.

After church, Erwin and I went to my Aunt Shelley's house for dinner. She had made homemade lasagna, salad and garlic bread, so I asked her to set aside some ricotta cheese and sauce for me (I also had 2 very small pieces of cucumber from the salad). My cousins who were also there said they felt bad eating in front of me, but I told them not to, because this is just how it is. I spent about 25 minutes eating my tiny little bit of food with my baby sized spoon, and we all finished about the same time. It was almost a victorious feeling for me, knowing that I CAN do this, and will be a much healthier and happier person in the longrun for it.

After we left my aunt's house, Erwin and I went for a drive, then stopped by my friend Launie's house to say hello. She told me my face looked so much thinner already, and that was nice to hear. I thought I was starting to see it as well, but it's so nice to know I'm not just imagining it :) I'm so excited to be on this journey and will accept all of the challenges and victories equally along the way - I didn't get to this place overnight, and it won't all be resolved overnight. I'm just grateful for the journey...

No comments:

Post a Comment