Saturday, April 25, 2009

My New Job & Other Stuff (written on 10/8/08)

So I started my new job this week and have been at it for a whole 3 days now. I would have to say that I will definitely work for every last penny of my raise, judging by the rate of things so far. It will be more of a challenge, but I know I will enjoy it, once I'm up to speed and fully trained. Thank goodness my friend Sue, who I'm replacing, is just a cubicle away and is more than willing to help until I'm comfortable. I am so lucky to have her close by, or I know I would be very overwhelmed! I am also still trying to help wherever I can in my previous department until my replacement starts on the 16th next Thursday. I thought it would be a hard transition for me, but I really don't have time to sit and think about it (which is probably a good thing). Anyway, so far, so good...

As for the weight loss, things have been at a stand-still for about 2 weeks now, but based on past history, it should start dropping again soon. My plateaus seem to be about every 6 weeks and last for 2 weeks, so I'm about due for the scale to start moving again. I do know that my body is still changing, even when the scale doesn't move, so I have stopped worrying about it as much as I used to. My clothes are telling me this is the case, and that's good enough for me.Tonight I went to another monthly support group meeting at St. Mark's Hospital. Dr. Steven C. Simper was the speaker and had some really great insights on how to view personal accountability. Many times it's easy to make excuses for why we say we can't do certain things. When we say "I can't", what we're really saying is "I won't". If we think about that in terms of weight loss or exercise (or anything else in life), saying "I won't" puts more personal accountability back on us and helps us realize that we really are capable of doing more than we sometimes think we can do. For example, if I say "I can't exercise because I'm too tired", I'm really making a choice not to do so, even though I AM capable. One way to re-think the "I can't" response is to turn it into a positive, such as "I can't fail". I really appreciated this discussion and am going to work on these concepts in ways that they apply to me personally.

This past Saturday, Erwin and I went shopping at Sears. We bought a snow thrower and a treadmill. Last year was worse than usual in terms of snow in our area, so we want to be prepared when it starts up again soon. I'm most excited about the treadmill, though. It will be delivered on Saturday, and I can't wait to get back to walking again. I've been working much later these past several weeks, and it's dark by the time I get home. Now I will not have a reason for skipping my daily exercise, and that makes me happy. I feel so much more energized when I make that a regular activity. I was really enjoying my walks with Cody in the evenings, but soon it will be Winter and I'll have to do indoor activities exclusively, so I'm prepared now! The other nice thing about the treadmill we bought is that it has a fan and TV on the console - Erwin and I should be both comfortable and entertained while we exercise! (Erwin's planning to hook the TV up to the satellite, so I'm hoping he will be more likely to use it as well.)

No comments:

Post a Comment