Saturday, April 25, 2009

Small Victories... (written on 11/04/08)

Well... I survived my first Halloween without the sweets that usually come with such an occasion. I must admit, though, I was VERY tempted to sneak a bite of some of the goodies I was passing out to the Trick-or-Treaters. I even went so far as to read the nutrition information to see which one was the least "bad" for me... I think this was the most difficult day I've had since my surgery, in terms of testing my will-power. I decided in my moment of weakness to read my brothers' blogs on OH, and I'm so glad I did. They are both such an inspiration to me, and they are the reason I did not cross that line. I even got up the next morning and did 2 miles on my treadmill, which was the most I've done in a single stretch. I figured if Jeff could do his first triathlon on Saturday, I could give my personal best so far.

I have 2 younger brothers, both of whom have had RNY. Jeff is one year younger than me, and had his surgery in July of '06 (jeff B. on my friends list). Dan is two years younger than me, and had his surgery in January of this year (dancbjammin on my friends list). The thing I find so amazing about them is their commitments to change their lives. They are both now triathletes and are training to do a full Iron-Man together next year. Dan is scheduled to be featured in OH Magazine in the Feb/Mar '09 issue - if you read his blog, you will truly be inspired. Having gone from 400 to 220 lbs. in 10 months, with 2 triathlons already under his belt, and training for a full Marathon in December, I think he is one of the greatest success stories I've ever encountered. He may be my baby brother, but he is truly a giant, and I couldn't be more proud.

So... in my temporary moments of weakness, I have come to look up to my younger brothers for strength and wisdom. I hope to have even half the success they do in becoming a healthy person, both mentally and physically.

No comments:

Post a Comment