Friday, April 24, 2009

7 Weeks Out and Feeling Amazing! (written on 9/1/08)



I am now down 56 pounds, and I can't believe how quickly time has flown since my surgery! I've been back to work for 4 weeks now, and have developed some good lifestyle habits - especially walking. I'm not as concerned if my husband doesn't find the absolute closest parking spot when we go to a store, and I've found success in being able to go out to eat and customizing my order to suit my new nutritional guidelines. I wear a pedometer every day, and try to improve the number of steps I walk by doing lots of little things I normally would have avoided in the past.

I went with my aunt and cousin to Sweet Tomatoes on Friday night (an all-you-can-eat soup and salad bar), which I thought would be a complete waste of money for me to do, but they asked to see my medical alert card (the first time I've used it), and only charged me the child's dinner price. I had a bowl of chili with cheese and some grape tomatoes, and called it a day. It was perfect! I also went to a Mexican restaurant (Los Hermanos) for dinner on Saturday with my aunt and hubby. I had about 3/4 of the insides of a chicken taco, along with some refried bean dip and a few corn tortilla chips. I wasn't sure if this would be such a good idea, but everything went down just fine. They key is to chew until it's mushy, and so far, this has served me well. I'm averaging about 700 calories a day now, but I think I should be careful not to do more than that for several more months.

I'm still walking as often as possible. Five times a week hasn't happened like I had hoped - we've had some rainy weather the last couple of days, and I didn't go prepared to use the treadmill after work like I should have. I'll do better this week...

Just to set the record straight that I am NOT immune from food issues... Either Tuesday or Wednesday night, I made a small quesadilla on a low carb wheat tortilla with some diced pieces of leftover chicken breast, colby jack cheese, and diced tomato. There were a few small pieces of chicken that didn't fit into the tiny tortilla, so I ate them cold while my dinner was cooking. I guess cold white meat chicken is especially dry, because after the first couple of bites of my dinner, I started having the worst pain from my little pouch, like everything was stuck. I thought I would just wait it out, but it started hurting more and more. I had never gotten sick and thrown up since surgery, but I knew this was the only thing that would allow me some relief, so up it came... I hate that I wasn't thinking, and that this was my only option to feel better, but I'm a quick learner and won't let that happen again... It really IS important to make sure your meat is a little moist before swallowing, no matter how good you chew.

Here are some new pictures:

No comments:

Post a Comment